oranje - recent posts from my current home

Monday, August 28, 2006

You are getting sleepy...

Too many distractions - watch the spinning ball!
I have been packing my studio at the Brew House all day today. I left just a few boxes short of being completely packed. One more session should do it.

I have been in this studio for nearly six years. About every six months I go through the studio and toss a bunch of stuff. I don't know about you but I tend to pick up little odds and ends that I think are interesting. I have every intention of using them, along with the scrap foamcore, the chipboard backs of filled sketchbooks, the interesting piece of wood and the little scraps of metal.

Today, I purged a lot of that stuff from the studio. I don't want to admit how many bags of trash I took out to the dumpster today. Really, it's embarrassing. What did I think I was going to do with the broken glass? I can't even remember anymore why I was holding onto it. A lot of half-baked projects went to the dumspter too. Some things just weren't worth salvaging.

This purging of unused materials will be good for me. A chance to start fresh in a new space with a new accumulation of interesting bits and pieces.

My new studio is on the border of Lawrenceville and Bloomfield, next door to an ironworks. There are all kinds of places to explore in walking distance. Bloomfield has a thriving business district that has a lot to offer. There's a hardware store a block away and a lumber store accross the street. I'm looking forward to getting into the studio to make some art instead of making walls and piles of dust.

Right now, I just want to lie on the couch and listen to my birds sing.

Good night, Gracie.

No comments: