oranje - recent posts from my current home

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Local scene seen

Kurt Shaw wrote a review of the Associated Artists of Pittsburgh 96th Annaul at the Carnegie Museum of Art. There are some great quotes from the curator, Douglas Fogle:

"I don't think there is such a thing as local artists. They are all artists of the world. There are artists all over. There's so much energy and so many different kinds of works being made all over. There's not one school of thought. There are many different viewpoints. And I think this show reflects that.

"The energy is part of the larger art ecology, and an exhibition like this is crucial because there are so many people doing interesting things out there. For me as a museum curator, a lot of these people are my audience as well for what we do. So, it's great to be able to give back, and I've become their audience in a sense, as well."

I think waht he said here was a pretty important vinication of local art scenes. The internet is serving to offer my choices for artists, buyers and collectors.

Thank you, Mr. Fogle.

No comments: