oranje - recent posts from my current home

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Artist statement

As I had mentioned in a previous post, I am starting to work on an artist statement. First step, I tightened up my notes --

I think that the reason why it is so difficult to write an artist statement is that a lot of the action that happens with visual arts happens on a non-verbal level. The ideas are there, but are so much influenced by factors that are beyond any real control. So much is dependent on choice. Like most artists, I am fascinated by what influences and impacts interaction. I work in consecutive, and sometimes concurrent, series which represents the process of an inner dialogue. Each series is a search for an answer that revolves around a specific theme.

I like to work in a variety of mediums. I have found that the richness of my visual vocabulary increases with each new medium. Understanding the connotations of the different mediums creates a subtext within the work. I like a human scale for my work. Intimate works that appeal to the eye and the hand, tactile on a number of levels. It’s all about feeling.

Palette is very important in my work. I am very much influenced by traditional Asian textiles. There is a quality of light that is trapped in the fibers of silk and there is a degree of complexity that I find appealing. Again, this is a way of creating a subtext within individual works and within a series. I am influenced by the design and color characteristics explored by painters like Klee and Kandinsky.

No comments: