oranje - recent posts from my current home

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Just some thoughts

I spent about a half hour last night assembling initial thoughts for an artist statement. What follows isn't even a draft yet, more like notes. More to come, 'cause this is nowhere near what I want to say.

I work in consecutive, and sometimes concurrent, series. Generally, each series represents a search for an answer in the form of questions that revolve around a specific theme. Art, for me, is a tool for exploration of humanity. Like most artists, I am fascinated by what influences and impacts interaction.

I like to work in a variety of mediums. With each new medium, I have found that the richness of my visual vocabulary increases. Understanding the connotations of the different mediums creates a subtext within the work.

I think that the reason why it is so difficult to write an artist statement is that a lot of the action that happens with visual arts happens on a non-verbal level. The ideas are there, but are so much influenced by factors that are beyond any real control. So much is dependent on choice.

I am very much influenced by traditional Asian textiles. There is a quality of light that is trapped in the fibers of colored silks. Colors chosen for Asian textiles have a degree of complexity that is appealing. Again, this is a way of creating a subtext within individual works and within a series. Palette is very important in my work.

Each series represents the process of an inner dialogue.

I like a human scale for my work. Intimate works that appeal to the eye and the hand, tactile on a number of levels. It’s all about feeling.

I am also very influenced by the design characteristics explored by Eastern European painters, like Klee and Kandinsky.

Time has become a significant factor in my work. The progress from one series to another.

No comments: