oranje - recent posts from my current home

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Toxic Por Vida

The trip to Carrie Furnace last weekend was at turns arduous and anxious. It was a long walk, about a half hour. The site was obviously dangerous. Not a trip I would reccommed to anybody that was uninsured.
This was over a long, relatively low, structure just inside the fence. You know, I don't read or speak Spanish. So, just to make sure, I translated the above through an online dictionary. The direct translation is Toxic By Life. Was that the intention of the writer? I could be wrong, but I think the intention was Toxic For Life. As it stands, however, it raises more questions, intentional or unintentional.

As we began exploring the structure, we heard a shifting sound. Debris spilled onto the floor through the vented structure of the roof. There were a few places where the floor was unstable. We walked most of the length of the structure. Climbing out, we found ourselves below a platform that surrounded the furnaces. We climbed up through the drifted dirt and debris, pulling ourselves up onto the platform.

We found ourselves between the furnaces and a cavernous structure. The following slideshow is a slight glimmer of the site.



There is always some tribute to our hometown at these sites. Usually, it's yinz, yinzer or some reference to the steeler nation. Here it is at Carrie Furnace

Signs of life. There were Dragonflys all over the site. I thought it was odd. One of my companions felt that because of the proximity of the Monongehela, it should be expected.

I had posted some videos lats week. Here's the link.

I want to go back.

No comments: