oranje - recent posts from my current home

Monday, June 05, 2006

TRAF - June 4

Okay, so I didn't make a lion yesterday. The weather was still pretty bad, with rain all day, high winds and cold! that we decided it would be better to wait until the weather was a little nicer to make and install the larger origami figures. So, we made a flight of cranes (left) and suspended them in a covered walkway. Also, a flock of waterfowl (right) that are currently installed under a tree near the main stage. And a squirrel (below) that stands about two feet in height. I didn't work at the festival today (Monday) but will be there tomorrow. My schedule is posted here, so if you are in the neighborhood, stop by and say hello.

And hey, if I'm not there, I'm sure that some Origamist will be there to show you how to fold a flower. Hongla, Anjee and Taichi have been working the festival into their schedules and have been wonderful help. All of them have some folding experience, but this is the first time that they've worked with such large-scale models. Pictured at right is Hongla, who was working on a number of small dragons. We were trying to figure out if a group of dragons is called a herd, a covey or maybe a pride. Anybody have a clue?

Before I left the festival last night, I swung by the moxie DaDa booth to say hello to Christine Whispell. They have a number of very nice works on display. If you are ever in the 'burgh, you should drop by and say hello.

I hope to be able to get to a couple of the TRAF-related exhibits over the next week or so. Over the next couple days, I will be doing double duty, installing Carnivalesque at Digging Pitt Gallery and working at the festival. I'll post when I can. Hope you are enjoying the unfolding of the Origami menagerie!

7 comments:

Lisa Hunter said...

These are amazing. I got interested in origami years ago, when I worked at the American Museum of Natural History. They have an origami holiday tree every year, with tiny paper dinosaurs, whales, and other critters natural world. But I've never seen oversized origami like this. What a great idea.

Susan Constanse said...

Hi Lisa,
Thanks! We are having a blast putting these together. Trouble-shooting figures this size is the biggest challenge.
My husband got me a book on Origami about twenty years ago. I've been folding paper off and on since then. But the large-scale stuff is something I started doing just this last several years.

Anonymous said...

From Google:
THE DAVID SHAW STORY ARCHIVE All stories in this archive are the ...The collective noun for group of dragons is apparently a rise of dragons. So the Chief Warlock tells us of the High Council from his reading of the ancient ...
www.asstr.org/~Kristen/shaw/dragonscroll1.txt - 73k - Cached - Similar pages

Anonymous said...

Barry posted the above

Susan Constanse said...

Thanks, Barry.
I'll tell Hongla.

Ben Volta said...

these origami sculptures are great!

I wonder if they would float down a river?

Susan Constanse said...

Hi Ben,
Well, as they are they would probably float about ten feet.
Maybe if they were folded from waxed paper?