oranje - recent posts from my current home

Friday, June 23, 2006

Welcome to my neighborhood

I found Kilroy!

This little guy has been a fixture on 45th street for the last couple years. Rain, snow, sweltering heat; it doesn't matter. Sometimes he has a wardrobe change, or his props are seasonally adjusted. I'm not sure what the story is here, but he never fails to lift my spirit when I pass his way. Today, he has a rusty grocery trolley. And he's dressed in summery blue.

While I was taking this picture, I looked up at the house and surprise!

...there was this awesome gargoyle trying to crawl in the window. I don't know how long the gargoyle has been there. It was the first time I noticed it. Anyway, this house is about four blocks from where I live in Lawrenceville. Hee!

2 comments:

Lisa Hunter said...

Reading your blog, I often wonder if you live in a particularly creative neighborhood, or if such things exist everywhere and you're just more observant than we are?

Susan Constanse said...

Definitely a creative neighborhood. Not everything I see is attributed to artists, but there are a lot of artists living in this Lawrenceville district.

It might also be Pittsburgh in general. I've never seen a city whose residents so readily adorn their homes for any holiday. Do you have egg trees and shamrocks in your neighborhood?